Word Of the Head Department of Library and Information
In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful, and praise be to God, Lord of the worlds, and the best of prayers and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad, the honest and trustworthy, and upon his family and good companions,.
It is my pleasure, pride and pride to belong to the staff of the faculty members of the Department of Library and Information, and assumed the duties of the head of the department, which is considered the first nucleus of the specialization of libraries and information in Libya, where the department was established in 1976 at the Faculty of Education (formerly) Arts currently at the University of Tripoli, and thus is the first specialized academic department at the national level, and even at the level of the Arab Maghreb, where it teaches library sciences, information and archives, and relies on professors with experience and high competencies and specialized in This field and a dynamic scientific program that keeps pace with the scientific developments taking place in this specialization, and adapts them in line with the needs of the Libyan society.
In light of the department's endeavor through its academic program (formerly) and currently bachelor's degree, it was able to qualify and prepare distinguished professional cadres academically and professionally in the field of library and information science, which are able to carry out their burdens towards society and meet its needs, as successive batches have graduated from the department since 1980 until now, and many graduates of these batches have contributed to the establishment and conduct of work in many institutions and various information facilities throughout the country.
The main objective of the Library and Information Department is to highlight the importance and role of libraries and various information institutions towards spreading knowledge and culture among members of the Libyan society, supporting the process of scientific progress and providing support service for scientific research.
We seek excellence and provide the best by keeping pace with the scientific progress taking place in the field of libraries and information technology, highlighting the importance of the role of libraries and various information institutions towards keeping pace with scientific developments in all fields of knowledge, and responding to the needs and requirements of work in libraries and information institutions throughout Libya.
Highlighting the importance and role of libraries and various information institutions towards spreading knowledge and culture among members of Libyan society, supporting the process of scientific progress and providing support service to scientific research.
- Preparing qualified and specialized cadres, and training them to work competently and efficiently in professions related to the field of libraries and information in universities, institutes, schools, research centers, and in ministries, institutions, companies, publishing houses and archive departments.
- Providing an educational opportunity for holders of a secondary certificate in various disciplines to join and study in the department, after which the graduate obtains a university degree (bachelor's) in library and information science.
- Teaching students how to prepare research, motivate them to have scientific aspirations, support them in developing their skills and creativity, and train them on how to use information sources, whether printed or electronic media.
- Encouraging scientific research in the field of libraries and information through organizing and actively participating in scientific conferences and seminars related to the field, writing books, and preparing research and scientific studies.
- Developing the technical and scientific skills of workers in the field of libraries and information, through organizing training courses, and providing technical and scientific consultations related to the field, within the framework of upgrading the level of specialization and profession.
- Contribute to the promotion of the objectives of the college and the university through active participation in various cultural and scientific activities.